Oaklawn Main Campus - view map
Birth Center Brochure
Greater care and experience: what a comforting thought.
At the Oaklawn Birth Center, our highly trained staff is supported by the latest technology. We deliver over 650 babies each year. And we do it in an environment that feels very close to home. As new parents, you and your baby will enjoy comfort and privacy throughout labor, delivery and post-partum recovery. Our Birth Center includes eleven birthing suites, each decorated in soft colors with a private bathroom and shower, a rocking chair and other amenities to make you and baby feel at ease. Some rooms even feature a whirlpool tub for use by expectant moms.
At the Oaklawn Birth Center, a new mom remains in one room from labor through the time she and baby are going home. Fathers, support persons and siblings are welcome at any time, and other family members and friends can visit during normal and convenient visiting hours.
Oaklawn nurses are very skilled in natural relaxation and breathing techniques, which will provide comfort during labor. You may also choose to have pain medication, such as IV medications and epidural and intrathecal anesthesia. You'll want to discuss these options for pain management with your physician prior to labor. You also can take advantage of our Childbirth Education classes to learn more.
An extra measure of comfort.
While at the Oaklawn Birth Center, you and baby will receive personal care from an experienced obstetrical nurse who is always ready to answer questions and respond to your needs. You have the option of "rooming" with your baby so that you can be close to your newborn throughout your stay.
Keeping you informed.
There are a lot of changes that come with your new baby. You'll no doubt have questions or concerns. We offer classes to educate and assist you and your family as you prepare for the birth of your baby, including:
- How to prepare for your newborn
- Basics in baby care
- Sibling classes
- Infant CPR
Please visit the Events page on this site to find the dates and times of these classes, which are offered monthly. You may also download the Childbirth Education Classes brochure or call (269) 789-3929. Payment for classes may be mailed or brought in person to: Oaklawn Hospital Cashier, 200 N. Madison, Marshall, MI 49068.
To maintain our patients' privacy and comfort and to continue to provide outstanding care, the following policies are observed in the Birth Center:
- Visiting hours are from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week.
- Dads or a support person are allowed to visit anytime.
- Healthy siblings are allowed to visit during the day, however we are unable to accommodate overnight stays for siblings.
- Please keep visitors to two at a time and be aware that standing in the hallways is not allowed. A lounge is available for visitors when not in the patient's room.
- Video taping during delivery is not allowed, as video tape is considered to be a part of the medical record. After both mother and baby have been stabilized, taping is permitted when approved by the physician or nurse caring for the mother and baby.
- No children under the age of 12 are allowed to visit unless they are siblings of the infant.